Control Your Anxiety and Heal Your Life
I was diagnosed generalized anxiety disorder at the age of thirteen after suffering stomach aches. While my anxiety wasn’t debilitating, it was challenging.
Last year, I realized that I could begin to heal myself with aligning my mind, body and soul. As I worked on each aspect in my life, I began to notice gigantic changes within myself and my quality of life. Eventually, I was able to come off my medication that I was on for ten years.
Below is what I have done to heal.
- Limit your caffeine! I noticed a huge improvement in my nervous system after giving up Diet Coke.
- Limit your alcohol intake.
- Healthy foods are very important to healing our brain tissue and bodies. Eat more fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- Limit processed foods and sugar. Research shows a correlation between sugar intake and anxiety and depression.
- Exercise- Do anything you enjoy. Exercise releases the “feel-good” chemicals in the brain.
- Get enough sleep.
- Breathe- Many of us take short, shallow breaths or hold our breath. Try taking long and slow breathes. It has incredible calming effects. There are different breathing techniques to help deal with anxiety.
- Take vitamins- I take a multi-vitamin plus the following additional supplements:
- Vitamin B Complex: Supports the brain
- Vitamin E: Supports central nervous system
- Vitamin D: Strengthens endocrine system. There are also studies that show a vitamin D deficiency could be a link to Seasonal Affective Disorder.
- Magnesium: Calms central nervous system. I get my extra magnesium from Epsom salt baths.
- Use essential oils. There are many oils that have effects on anxiety. My favorite is lavender, frankincense and peppermint oil.
- Consider massage therapy for relaxation and tension release.
- Get enough sleep each night.
- Be present in the moment. This is one of the most important steps for me. When you catch yourself worrying about the future, acknowledge your thoughts and then let them go! Be present in what is happening today.
- Meditate: Mediation is an incredible way to clear your mind. It teaches us to be present in the moment. Since anxiety is living in the future, when you meditate, it is nonexistent.
- Practice positive self-affirmations. I used to have an index card taped to my bathroom mirror. The more negative self-talk we have, the more we are pushed into fear. Fear is anxiety’s root cause.
- Force yourself into doing uncomfortable things. Make plans and then stick to them. The more you empower yourself, the less fear has power over you.
- Start a journal.
- Work on your self-confidence and self-love.
- Consider Reiki sessions- I noticed a huge change in my anxiety once I started sessions and training. Reiki balances your energy centers, helps to remove energy blocks and is incredibly calming.
- Prayer- Pray to release feelings of fear and replace it with love. Love is the basic need for the soul and I believe for healing. The more love, compassion and understanding you give to others, the more you will receive. The more fear, jealousy or anger we give to others, the more we will receive.
I hope some of these suggestions were helpful. I know how challenging living with worry and fear can be. Although, I still have thoughts or worries of the future, my daughters, my job, etc., it is to a point I can release the worry that doesn’t serve me and become present in the moment. I am healthier and more joyful that I have felt in years. If I can help one person, it is worth it all.
*This advice doesn’t substitute for going to your doctor for advice on dealing with anxiety. These are simply techniques that have helped me.